Thursday, June 13, 2013

DOT Yellow and Whistles

A few years ago when we were camping at Navajo Lake, I bought these DOT yellow sweatshirts as a souvenir for the girls.  I figured they would be our camping sweatshirts.  After every camp trip I wash them and then they go back into our camp box for our next trip.  I love the DOT color, because it stands out.  I can always find my kids when they are playing in the trees.  

These are the beautiful Aspen trees I speak so highly of.  I believe the elevation for Aspens to grow in this area is 8,000 feet above sea level.    These trees are also really moist trees, and if you know how to make a whistle, then this is the tree to use.  I watched my dad year after year make me and my siblings whistles while we were camping.  It looked so easy.  My daughter asks me every camp trip to make her a whistle.  I have attempted it 3 times and after sitting with it for hours, I can't figure it out.  Most of the time I  can't get the skin off the tree.  I try sucking on it to get it wet, but I tend to rip the skins after awhile.  Even after it rips a little, I figure we can just hold it on tight, so I continue to whittle away at the branch until it looks like my dad's.  I think I need a sharper pocket knife, because it just hasn't worked for me.  I have even You Tubed it, and I am doing everything right, but can't seem to get it to actually make a whistle sound.  Someday I will attempt it again, and my girls will love it just as I did as a kid.



No comments:

Post a Comment